Sweet (True Believers #2) by Erin McCarthy

Sweet  - Erin McCarthy

I want to start off by saying that I like Erin McCarthy’s writing. True was my first time reading any of her work and I enjoyed it. I went into Sweet with the same expectations: not to be blown away, but to like it. Well, I did like parts.

What I liked:

Riley: His character was very genuine and real. I understood his actions and why he acted the way he did. This was a man in his twenties who was handed a pretty shitty card in life to begin with, then to have the responsibility of caring for his brothers thrust upon him unexpectedly. He was a smart ass, a hard worker, and a loving brother with a playful side and an ugly jealous streak.

The Brothers Dynamic: I felt this way about the first one as well. The relationship between all four brothers is one of the best things about this series. Their love for each other radiates off of the page and despite their shitty upbringing, they’re all relatively well-adjusted.

Riley/Jessica Relationship: I liked their friendship and how they played around with each other. Towards the end, I enjoyed the sweet little moments that they shared.

What I didn’t like:

Jessica: For almost all of the book, she was extremely self-centered, only concerned about her looks, a whiner who did nothing to change her position just whined, and only thought about sex. Why doesn’t he want to have sex with me? When are we going to have sex with me? Oh, he’s cleaning the kitchen where I want to have sex with him on the table. Aside from how she wanted to help Riley, I found nothing about her I liked.

Duplicate Plot: Aside from a few characteristics of the main characters, the plot was exactly the same as True. While it’s understandable that parts would be similar – this is a series about falling in love – the fact that in both stories the protagonist had parents who threatened to disown them based on their lifestyle and dating choices was a little ridiculous. Both are girls from well off families who fall in love with boys from the wrong side of the tracks. Both have parents who disapprove. Both defy parents. Both get their HEA. Same story, different characters.

Overall, a good story. Had I not read True, I would have probably rated it higher.

This review can also be seen here on my blog.

I received an e-copy of this book from the publisher via Negalley in exchange for an honest review.