The Host - Stephenie Meyer I know what you're thinking. 5 stars? Really? Believe me, no one was more shocked than me. This was my second time reading The Host, I had previously read it right after it's release. I remember liking it, but then I kind of forgot about it because I was still on my "OMG Twilight is the best thing ever!" kick. But with the movie coming out, I decided to give it another go. And I'm so glad I did. I actually think I liked this book better than Twilight *gasp*.

While this book wasn't perfect - the beginning was a little slow and some parts dragged a little too much - I was extremely intrigued by these characters. I feel like Meyer finally got it right with character details. One of the things that bothered me about the writing in Twilight was that the side characters were overlooked when it came to details and personality. Meyer's writing skills definitely grew here and the outcome was a well-rounded supporting cast.

The relationship between Wanda and Melanie was done well. I felt each girl as an individual and understood their struggle with learning how to live this way. I loved the way each girl got to view each other's species through one set of eyes. And while Wanda was the self-sacraficing female that Meyer loves to write, her sacrafice was something I could understand. She was trying to help those she grew to love. There was absolutely no selfishness on her part.

Now the boys. While this can be seen as a love triangle (love square?), it wasn't the most obvious of one. Melanie loved Jared. Jared loved Melanie. Ian loved Wanda. Wanda loved both Ian and Jared, but in two different ways. Jared was the love she knew because of Melanie's feelings for him. He was what was familiar and home to her. But on the other side, Ian became someone for her to love by his openness and willingness to accept her, not as a body but as a soul. And you weren't really rooting for one guy to win, because there were honestly two girls. It was more about the fight to not lose Melanie but keep Wanda.

I adored Ian. He stole the book for me. As a character, he had growth. In the beginning, he despised Wanda - much like everyone else. But slowly, we watched him change and I loved every minute of it.

I heard that Stepenie Meyer is almost done with the second one and I sure hope this is true. I have so many questions about this new world and so many things were left unanswered. Consider me all in.