The Fury - Alexander Gordon Smith Well, that book was something.

The Fury was creepy, dark, menacing and long. I mean, look at that cover! I loved the beginning, how we are instantly thrown into the story line with no warning. And what an opening chapter that was. A boy on his birthday is beaten to death by his sister and mom. I was instantly like, what is happening??

Over the next few chapters we meet our main group: Daisy, Cal and Brick. The only thing they have in common is that everyone is trying to kill them. They band together with a small group of other kids/teens who are also like them and over the course of the book they try to figure out why the world wants to kill them. Meanwhile in London, the city is being sucked into a black whole.

I will not deny that Smith can write. He has a style that sucks you in and makes you want more, even while you are cringing at the scenes displayed before you. All of the characters were very distinct and strong in their own ways. Daisy and Cal were my two favorites by far and I looked forward to all the scenes with them. Their relationship together was by far the highlight.

The few issues I had with the book was first the length. There seemed to be scenes that were dragged out and stories that could have been told in half the time. The second was the ending. I don’t want to give anything away but it was just kind of like, really? That’s how they defeat evil.

This was my first Gordon Smith book, but I am definitely intrigued to read others from him.

This review can also be seen here on my blog.