The Name of the Star - Maureen Johnson Jack the Ripper killings but in present time, done in the exact fashion they were in the 1800's. I really liked this idea and the author obviously did intense research on the original killings. I loved the historical aspect of this book. And I pretty much liked a majority of the characters - except for the ones who we were destined to hate or be annoyed with.

While reading this, it became clear to me that there would be a supernatural element to this book. And I pretty much figured out that it would be of the Casper variety. What I didn't know what how the supernatural element would merge with the plot of the book. Why could Rory see people when others couldn't? What made her different?

Well, let me just say that when all was finally revealed, I was a little underwhelmed. It was an explanation that had been used multiple times before. So I was like, maybe she'll use it a little different. But alas...no. Once everything came together, the book was very predictable. It was weird, I can honestly say that this was one book where the supernatural element took me out of the story. I just feel like this brilliant idea was just executed poorly.

And I didn't understand the ending. Was I not supposed to? Was this to ensure that I read the second one? Most likely, and I probably will.