All Our Yesterdays - Cristin Terrill “Is there evil in me?” “Could I become a terrible person someday?”

I’m trying to figure out what I can say about this book without giving it away. First off, it’s amazing. Everyone needs to read this. I was hooked by the first chapter, where we find Em and Finn being held captive in what appears to be a dungeon type building. They are being held by someone who calls himself the Doctor and tortured daily for the location of certain documents. It is here where Em finds a list written in her own handwriting explaining what scenarios she has already tried and failed. It is here where she realizes in order to save the world from what it becomes she must Kill him.

Kill who? And why? And how? And more importantly, what???

Time travel. This book deals in time travel.

description

If you’re like me, you may find time travel confusing. It’s such a hard subject to wrap your mind around. If you go back in time to change something that happened but you had already been there before but now things are different with different outcomes that change the future, how did you know to go back there if you had never been there? AHHHH What???

description

Time is so confusing.

What Terrill has done so brilliantly is mixed the scientific world of time travel with real life problems. Em and Finn aren’t going back in time to look at dinosaurs or stop World War 1 or any of those other places people go in other time travel stories. This is a character driven story with science as a subplot. Em and Finn in “present” time, and Marina and James in the past. Both sets of characters were so real and honest. I loved the strength in Em and Finn’s unconditional love for her. They were fighting for a better future, knowing what losses they would incur in the process. I loved James’ drive to make the world a better place. He loved his family and friends to the point where it blinded his decisions, and Marina loved him, blinded by everything else.

I adored every second of this book. Parts I predicted and cheered when I was right (even though for some I didn’t want to be) and some things just came out of nowhere and hit me in the gut, even bringing the tears. It didn’t even matter that I didn’t completely understand the last chapter (no seriously, if anyone can help me out, send me a message lol).

This is the story of friendship, love, loss, and surviving…with a little time travel thrown in. And I am counting down the days until the next one is released. Brilliant.

I received an e-copy of this book from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

This review can also be see here on my blog.