Reality Ends Here - Alison Gaylin 3.5 Stars

16 year old Estella Blanchard is one of the stars of reality tv’s hottest show, Seven is Heaven. She’s your typical teenager, except everything in her life is scripted. While taping their Christmas episode, a present appears under the tree addressed to Estella. The sender? Her biological father who died in a car crash years earlier. Her parents blame her and ship her off to celebrity therapy. Meanwhile, Estella’s just trying to figure out who sent that package and if her father is really dead.

I enjoyed most of this story – the last half at least. I had a hard time in the beginning getting through based on the parents. Her mother and stepfather were horrible people. Everything they said or did was for ratings. After finding a present from her dead father, Estella runs up to her room to be alone only to have one of the sextuplets come in and start quizzing her about her real father – in front of a camera after being prompted by the parents. They were just horrible. The way they treated Estella disgusted me and almost turned me off of the book. There was just so much manipulation and lying going around from people you were supposed to be able to trust. I’m sorry, encouraging bullying between the children and telling one of them to lose weight because she’s chubby is just not right. YOU’RE HORRIBLE PARENTS.

However, I stuck with it. And we finally moved away from parents and were introduced to two characters who became important figures: Jake, the heartthrob singer and Dylan, the washed up former tv star. I loved the scenes with the three of them. Jake, who I liked instantly, understood Estella like nobody ever had before. Their connection was believable and I rooted for the two of them.

Dylan was pure comic relief. I mean, he created a distraction by having Justin Beiber perform on top of a limo. But he was loyal. He stood by his friends when everything went crazy. He was just so much fun.

The story took an interesting turn about halfway through and became this mystery that surrounded Estella, her father, and other people she thought she knew. Most of it was a little unbelievable and there were a few holes here and there, but I won’t deny that I was intrigued by the mystery. Overall, an enjoyable read.

This review can also be seen here at my blog.

I received an e-copy of this book from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.