Forbidden to Love  - Debbie Davies, D.A. Wills So this book was kind of like Young Hercules meets Days of Our Lives. Acacia is a goddess who has been sent to live in the mortal world because Eros, the Greek God of love and the person she was made for, does not want her. She lives with two other Goddesses, both also rejected by Eros. Here she attends high school and basically plays matchmaker, setting up people with their perfect partners based on their aura colors. Then one day, she meets Josh – the boy with no aura, the boy she can’t seem to forget.

Let me start of by saying, I love love love Greek mythology. Anything to do with Gods/Goddesses, I’m a sucker for. So of course, this book seemed perfect for me. But alas, it fell flat. I did not like Acacia. I could not understand her at all. Her head was a jumbled mess and she went from one way of thinking to a completely opposite one then back in the span of one paragraph. Yes I should be with Josh, Eros be damned! But wait, Josh could get hurt and I love him too much for that. I should stay away. But who is Eros to tell me what to do? GAH!

Now I will admit that the three girls are in a sucky situation. All being created for Eros, then rejected and forced to still only love him. That sucks. But there are other things to do then spend countless chapters complaining about it. You’re pissed, we get it. You belong to Eros, we get it. You’re unhappy, WE GET IT. Move forward with plot!

Then there was Josh, who I loved instantly…then fell out of love with as the book progressed. He started off as this strong willed, quick-witted guy but quickly turned into the ‘I can’t live without you being in my life every second’ guy. Enough with the instalove people.

And don’t even get me started on Luca. WTF was that? Why was it there? What point did it serve? If the author was setting something up for upcoming books, there needs to be more information. Their instalove made absolutely no sense and seemed to serve no other purpose than just to have the obligatory love triangle that plague YA books lately.

The writing was very uncohesive (is that a word?) and sometimes just a rambling mess, also predictable. Backstory was thrown in at awkward places and then constantly repeated throughout the book. Along with the massive info dumping, there were way too many questions that went unanswered. If you want us to care about these characters, you need to set a better scene with them. How do they support themselves? Do they just have endless amounts of money? Were they made the ages they are now? Do they have to relocate often because of the not aging? HOW DO THEY LIVE? It’s one thing to leave some mystery for the sequels, but at some point, you have to explain things to your audience if you want them to care.

Disappointing read for me and I’m not sure if I will continue the series.

This review can also be seen here at my blog.

I received an e-copy of this book from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.