The Summer I Became a Nerd - Leah Rae Miller description

Maddie has a problem. For years, she’s been living a double life. On the outside she’s your typical popular cheerleader who’s dating the football star. On the inside, she’s Sheldon Cooper (if you don’t know who that is, I don’t think we can be friends).

Because of a traumatic costume experience when she was younger, Maddie has felt the need to hide her nerdiness from the outside world. No one knows that she has anime marathons on the weekends with her father, or that she’s counting down the days until the final issue of her favorite comic series. But when her beloved comic fails to come in the mail, Maddie is forced to do what she’s always feared: walk into the local comic book store where people can see her. It is here we Logan, son of the owners of the store and the person holding the last copy of the prized comic book Maddie so desperately needs. A friendship is forged, one that seems to be leading elsewhere, but it is kept secret because Maddies fears what people will think when they learn that not only is she crushing on a nerd, but she’s actually one herself.

description

I really enjoyed Maddie. Yes, she drove me nuts with all of her secrecy, but I could understand it to a point. High school is a hard place to navigate and it is much easier when you’re “accepted”. This, however, didn’t stop me from shouting at her to just be herself every two seconds.

Now Logan…Logan I loved from the moment we meet him.
description

He knows who he is and what he wants, and he’s not afraid to show it. He’s sweet, kind, loyal, adorable, and I kept wondering where I could find him in real life. Rounding him out were his family and best friend who all just added colors to this world.

The author must be a nerd herself to write some of these scenarios and I reveled in all the nerdilicious glory. There’s comics, LARPing, conventions…and underneath it all, a great story on learning to accept yourself. A light-hearted, great summer read that I would definitely recommend. I certainly couldn’t stop smiling after reading it.

description

This review can also be seen here at my blog.

I received an e-copy of this book from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.