True - Erin McCarthy This was an all right book for me. There were parts that I really liked and parts that I didn’t care so much for. True follows the story of Rory, nerdy college girl virgin who gets set up by her roommates with “bad boy” Tyler. By set up, I mean her roommates pay Tyler to take her virginity. In their delusional minds, they think this will boost Rory’s confidence and give her the courage she needs to put herself out there. Since this is a contemporary romance, of course Rory and Tyler fall in love.

What I liked about this book: Tyler.

He’s designated the bad boy because he has tattoos, smokes and drinks in excess, and has casual sex. Sorry, that just sounds like a college student to me. *shrugs* Anyway…what people don’t know about Tyler is that he’s actually really smart. He’s studying to be an EMT, he reads literature and takes care of his two younger brothers while his mother is passed out on the couch from pain meds. He hides a lot of his home life and I don’t blame him. It’s nobody’s business, but when we do find out just how bad it really is, my respect for him grew.

The fact that he still found reasons to grin and laugh were testament to his true nature, that his desire to take care of his brothers spoke volumes about his character.

I also adored his little brothers. Jayden and Easton stole any scene they were written into.

What I didn’t like:

Let’s start with Rory. In the beginning, I was okay with her. She was a little neurotic for my taste, but nothing overly obnoxious or annoying. When we are introduced to her, she’s crushing on a guy named Grant and one of her first thoughts is of him getting a tattoo of her name on his bicep. Umm…slow down girlfriend. Then she starts hanging out with Tyler and I really liked the friendly banter between them. It’s when her and Tyler start becoming more than friends that the issues started. While I liked her interactions with his family, everything else fell apart. Suddenly she was the most insecure person in the world. She questioned everything: why Tyler was with her, why anyone would like her. She listened to everyone else except the one person she should have.

Her Friends: I get that her friends wanted to help her come out of her shell, but really? Paying a guy $100 to take someone’s virginity is low. Also, the fact that Rory just forgave them without any real discussion about it was a little ridiculous.

Grant: He kisses her, tells her to pass that onto her friend, then tries to rape her. When he comes back later in the book and tells Rory that Tyler is only with her because she’s someone he can take car off and feel manly, she believes him. WHY WOULD YOU LISTEN TO THIS DOUCHE?

The clichés: I really enjoyed the beginning of the book, and then after the Thanksgiving scene it seemed like the author went, I need more drama. And BAM! Suddenly there are arrests, parents forbidding the relationship, the whole “I’m no good for you” speech. Also, why must a majority of new adult books feature attempted rape? When did this become a standard?

Overall, it was a good read despite the faults I had with it. Tyler and his family definitely kept the intrigue up there and saved this book for me.

This review can also be seen here at Book Jems.

I received an e-copy of this book from the publisher via Negalley in exchange for an honest review.