Nets and Lies - Katie Ashley Wow...this book really touched on some hard to read plot points.

Nets & Lies tells the story of two very different girls: Melanie Reeves and Jordan Solano. One makes a false accusation of rape against the basketball coach, the other was actually raped.

Melanie Reeves is varsity captain of her school's basketball team, and the star player. She has the perfect boyfriend (the coach's son) and pretty much the perfect life...until one day after practice, her virginity is taken from her by force from her coach.

Jordan Solano has a well-known reputation as a bad girl. She lies, she ditches school, and she's having an affair with the coach of the basketball team. But when the coach suddenly breaks off their affair, she wants to hurt him, make him suffer for the heartbreak he caused her. So she cries rape.

One lie brings out the others truth in a this story about finding your voice through the darkness. I won't lie, the rape scene was extremely hard to read for me. The idea of someone in a position of power exerting force over someone else sickens me. And his response after realizing he had taken her virginity, "I just assumed you and Will had been together. I would have taken it slower if I'd know that."

WHAT THE HELL??

Sick. It just makes me sick.

I won't lie. I was extremely frustrated with Melanie for a majority of this book because of her refusal to tell the truth of what happened. I chalk it up the writing of the author for pulling such extreme reactions out of me. I felt horrible for Melanie, but also really wanted to shake some sense into her. Her internal fight over wanting to tell the truth but not wanting to hurt her family or her boyfriend and his family was very realistic.

I agree with some of the other reviews that I've read. This book kind of read like a Lifetime movie and at times was very predictable. I could have done without some of the later plots, Jordan's perfect guy suddenly showing up when she needed it and her epiphany about how her life was going nowhere was just a little too sappy, but I admired the author for showing some very realistic responses to the situation.

While this book is a work of fiction, this kind of behavior happens all the time and not all victims come forward. A very tough subject, but a good read.