School Spirits - Rachel Hawkins I enjoyed the Hex Hall series, I really did. I enjoyed Archer (just being truthful). And when I heard that there was going to be a spin-off series, I was a little intrigued. When I found out it was going to be about Izzy Brannick, I was a little hesitant. It wasn’t that I didn’t like the Brannicks, it was more like, I thought Izzy was a child and then assumed her plight would be rather childish. I am glad I was wrong. Now while you don’t need to read the Hex Hall series to read the spin-off, I would recommend it. It gives you some background on this world and an introduction the characters.

School Spirits follows the youngest of the Brannick clan, Izzy. After her sister goes missing with no clues where to find her, Izzy and her mother start trying to move on- or so they say. This means taking on more cases, including enrolling Izzy in high school to investigate a supposed haunting. Having never been to an actual school, Izzy feels immediately out of place and tries to learn all she can through a teen soap drama. What she didn’t expect was a group of misfit friends and a real haunting that threatens those she now holds dear.

Izzy grew on me. She has an extremely likeable character about her and a naïve demeanor that endears her to you. The whole book she’s trying to prove to her mother that she can handle herself out in the field, that she’s just as strong as her sister. What she’s actually hiding is guilt over her missing sister and loneliness. She doesn’t realize how lonely she’s been until she meets the gang of PMS or Paranormal Management Society: Romy, Anderson, and Dex.

I instantly like Romy, the leader of PMS. Her sarcastic wit was the perfect counter to Izzy. She’s the kind of person you would want to meet if it was your first day at a new school, at least I would. Then there’s Anderson, who I believe really only joined PMS to get close to Romy. But my favorite part of the book had to be Dex. From his first encounter with Izzy:

"You are my new hero. Seriously, I might actually be in love with you now. Would it be awkward if we made out?"

To explaining his…well, himself, I guess:

“The clothes, I mean,” he said, gesturing to his coat. “I know that I’m fashionable and well-groomed, and yes, I have been known to rock the occasional manbracelet.”

He lifted his wrist, jangling the bracelet I’d noticed earlier. I could see now that it was plain silver, just a series of links.

“But,” Dex continued, dragging another one of my fries through ketchup, “I also like ladies. And not as shopping buddies, but in the carnal sense.”

Dex just made this book entertaining. I laughed out loud at many of his one liner and based on that ending, really hope he’s a constant presence in this series because I can’t think of anything more hilarious than that.

One thing I hope we get more information about is Torin. Yes, the boy in the mirror is back here in a much bigger aspect. There’s something quite off about Torin and his connection to Izzy and her missing sister. I believe that we will come to know his secrets, and I know I can’t wait.

A very promising start to this new series.

So much thanks to Netgalley and Disney-Hyperion for allowing me to read this ARC in exchange for an honest review.