Just One Day - Gayle Forman I don't know how Gayle Forman continues to write such flawlessly perfect books. First with If I Stay then with Where She Went, I knew this was an author with whom I was going to fall in love with. Her writing is so unique and so vivid, you feel like you are in the book, not just as an observer. These are your feelings and thoughts. You feel everything. And she delivered, yet again, with Just One Day.

If you're looking for a cutesy love story with everything all tied up at the end, you aren't going to find it here. Just One Day is the story of personal growth, one girls journey to find out just who she is.

Allyson Healey has always lived life by the rules set out by other people. She never strays from what she's supposed to do and she is the least impulsive person alive. That is until she meets Willem.

In England for the Teen Tours! Cultural Extravaganza, she runs into Willem, a Shakespearean street performer. She's captivated by him from the beginning, and can't stop thinking about him. But she never thought she'd meet him again, especially not the next day when he asks her to go to Paris with him - for just one day.

description

Throwing caution to the wind, Allyson agrees. And what follows could possibly go down as the best day ever. It's not perfect, in fact, they encounter many obstacles along the way, but it's these obstacles that make it so memorable. Foreman paints this amazingly real view of Paris, one that's hardly seen by tourists. Its not the Eiffel Tower and fancy french cafes. No, it's back alley bars, rides bargained for down the canals, lounging in the park and falling asleep in an abandoned loft.

Unfortunately, when Allyson wakes up, Willem is gone. Not knowing who he really is or even his last name, she has no way to find him, so she's forced to go home and continue this life her parents laid out for her. To leave behind this girl who, for just one day, really lived. This story is about loss - not just of a boy but of one'e self.

What follows is not a breakdown per say, but more like a reevaluation. Yes, Allyson's mind is preoccupied by Willem, but he becomes more like a stepping stone as she picks away layers and realizes what exactly she wants.

Along the way, we meet these amazing side characters who are unforgettable. There's The Giant in Paris, who's so endearing from the moment you first meet him. There's Dee, who actually became my favorite person, who tells it like it is and makes no qualms for being himself. He understands people and plays up to that, but he never loses sight of who he is. I could go on about these people but I don't want to give too much away.

This book deals a lot with unfinished business. Allyson just wants to know what happened to Willem, she feels as if she gets this answer she can move on. Her journey takes her back to Paris and across Europe. While there were parts where I wanted to just shake her and tell her to snap out of it, the fact that she grew tremendously through this story made it worth it.

And I can't possibly submit this review without mentioning Willem. A charming, sweet-talking, spur of the moment boy who just breezes in and takes charge. He demands you let go and just follow your heart. I know that if I met someone like Willem, I would pull an Allyson and follow him anywhere. I am biting my nails, impatiently waiting for Just One Year. I am dying to know what was going on in his head and what exactly happened to him!

Splendid, just splendid. Gayle Foreman does it again - not like we're shocked though.