The Perks of Being a Wallflower - Stephen Chbosky 2.5

This review will be extremely hard for me to write, as I am still not sure how I feel about this book. Disgruntled, unsatisfied, annoyed, depressed...pretty much all of the above.

I went into this book with extremely high expectations, and I think that was my downfall. Right away I knew that I wasn't going to love it. The format - being presented in the form of letters - was interesting, but ultimately turned me off.

Charlie, to me, was a very flat character. I found his letters monotonous and childish. He was supposed to be a boy aged 15/16, but the mindset was closer to 9. I didn't feel anything for him except for frustration at how he handled situations. Perhaps if I had read this at a younger age, it would hold a different appeal to me.

I didn't mind the characters of Sam and Patrick, they obviously added actual semi-plot to the story, but it still wasn't enough to make me want to read it. The character I ended up thinking was the most important was his English teacher, Bill. And that was strictly because of one scene closer to the end.

I'm interested in seeing the movie, but I've also heard high praise for that as well and after reading the book, I'm a little wary.