Falling for Hamlet - Michelle Ray Not going to lie, I was a little unsure going into this book. I was actually sure I was going to hate it. A retelling of Hamlet, but from Ophelia's point of view. Yes, Ophelia, the same Ophelia who dies in the original story. Intrigued yet?

Falling For Hamlet takes Shakespeare's work and turns it into a modern day girl in love with a prince story. Throw in a little drama, family problems (a whole lot of them), and a little murder and you have yourself a story.

Ophelia, a high school girl, lives in the palace with her father who works for the King and Queen. Oh, and she's madly in love with Hamlet, with who she has an on and off and on and off again relationship with. Hamlet is your wild child college boy prince who just wants to do what he wants, but yet can't seem to stay away from Ophelia. The beginning of the book is a little slow honestly. Just basically follows our two lovebirds as they fall in and out of love, go to school, etc. But all that changes when the King is killed.

Ray does a good job of keeping the main elements of Hamlet - brother killing brother, son driven mad, chaos ensuing. There were times when I was annoyed with both Hamlet and Ophelia. Hamlet just because he was an arrogant son of a bitch most of the time, but Ophelia - i felt that most of her unhappiness was brought on by herself. Her position could have been so easily changed, but she kept going back to the same situations. I just wanted to smack her upside her head.

It wasn't until the death of Ophelia's father that the book really took off. I don't think I had ever felt so much dread reading a book before. And let me just say, I apparently did not remember the ending of Hamlet, because when Hamlet, Laertes, and the King all kill each other during the lacrosse game, I was just like WTF just happened?? The way that whole scene was written...I just couldn't stop reading.

Add in an amazingly written Horatio, chapters beginning with a talk show interview and ending with an interrogation, Falling For Hamlet is a great tale of what if.