Forever - Maggie Stiefvater 3.5

Oh Forever, how I wanted to love you. This book was really hard for me to rate. I loved Shiver, I couldn't put it down. I fell in love with both Grace and Sam, and the stories that brought them together. With Linger, I still loved both Sam and Grace, but other POV's were brought in and I wasn't sure how to take to these newcomers. Then I read Forever...and man, it felt like it took forever.

To me, this story has always been the story of Sam and Grace, everyone else just helped their story evolve, but from the outside. This being said, I don't believe that we needed multiple POV's here. Especially not multiple POV's for the same chapter. The additions of Cole and Isabel were pretty much like fillers for me. Yes, sometimes they were interesting, but they weren't needed. The story of Sam and Grace in itself was heartbreaking and at times I was so caught up in what was about to happen that I couldn't wait to turn the page and then -

Cole POV...of a completely different scene. And your heightened emotion is gone and you're taken completely out of the scene. This is not a TV show, switching scenes does not always work. It didn't help that both Cole and Isabel seemed completely selfish and childish, that I just didn't care about them as much. I wanted what I found in the original book: the love story of 2 people - not 4.

That being said, while Forever was slow moving, when you hit around page 300, it finally picks up and the ending comes quick. I was a little disappointed in the ending, what I thought was an bittersweet farewell, turned into the cliche "I can guess what's going to happen" ending. The death of a character the affected me more than I thought it would was overshadowed by the following chapter.

All in all, a good series. The first one was by far the best, but I don't regret reading it.