Beautiful Creatures  - Kami Garcia, Margaret Stohl This book was an interesting one for me. After a very slow start, I felt the book finally picked up pace literally halfway through. With a book that's over 500 pages, I don't think this was the way to go. While I understand that a lot of this book is based on history: history of the town and the history of the two families, it jsut seemed like there was so much more thrown in than needed to be.

Ethan lives in a small town in Gatlin, South Carolina. A town where nothing new happens and every one knows every one else. One day, a new girl arrives and she's immediately an outcast. Not just because she's new, but beacause she's the niece of the town "crazy" Macon Ravenwood. Ethan is immediately drawn to Lena - helped by the fact that they seem to be able to communicate via mind reading - and thus begins a chaotic history lessons that includes magic, a literal seeing-eye dog, visions and, of course, first (and doomed) love.

What I liked about this book:
-Macon and Boo Radley: I felt they were such interesting characters as a whole and I really wished there was more background on the two of them.
-Amma: Not only was she the only caring adult in Ethan's life, pretty much. She was also the only one who seemed to generally want to protect him. Also, I loved her no nonsense way of life. And her being a seer just added to this.
-Ethan: I did like Ethan. I liked that the book was from his point of view, so we were able to experience his confusion first hand. And even though he was pretty much the only one without any sort of knowledge as to what was going on, he was one of the only one's who actively tried to solve the mystery surronding him and Lena.
-History: I'm a fan of books that have some past hidden meaning and I was intrigued every time we got flashes of the visions in the past. It felt like the mystery was unraveling with each flash.

What I didn't like:
-Lena: I didn't hate her, but I also didn't really like her. She just kind of moped around and was all, poor me. Meanwhile Ethan was trying to save her. She also seemed really ungrateful the entire book.
-Ethan's father: What even was that? Why spend so much time talking about him and his private study only to reveal nothing? Also, the picture of solider Ethan in the study, why was it covered? It seemed like his father knew something, and then nothing.
-Unresolved plot points: Why Ethan looks exactly like his ancestor. Why there's a covered up painting in his father's study of said ancestor. What is Boo Radley? Why was Genevieve's ghost just chilling in the graveyard watching them? She didn't hinder no help, she was just there.
-Things that just didn't make sense: If you're going to throw in some super cool supernatural element, please make sure it makes sense. When Ethan and Lena were transported back to the past, how come they automatically knew every internal thought and feeling from Genevieve? From how it was explained, they could just see the events happening, like they were specatators. Spectators can't feel emotions or feelings unless they are inside that person's head.
-Endings that fall flat: I honestly don't even know what happened. A good character died, and the "evil" people just gave up and left.

I know this is a series, so maybe a lot of my questions will be answered in the following books. Will I read them? Probably. I am intrigued. So 3 stars because I kinda liked it, but I didn't love it.