That Boy  - Jillian Dodd First off, let me just say that I have been waiting for this book to come out in book form forever. I just knew that if I read it as an e-book, it wouldn't do it justice. And I'm so glad I waited. This book was just ... I don't even know

description

Jillian Dodd has done something that not many authors have been able to do. She showcases the friendship between a boy and a girl. Not only that, but she also doesn't give into the typical love triangle that has the YA genre in stitches. Yes, there are two boys in this book: Phillip and Danny. Yes, they both love JJ. But it's an evolution of love, of friendship.

The presentation of each chapter, from the diary-like intros, to the drawings that accompany them, you really feel like you're in JJ's head. And you feel everything she feels. She wasn't perfect. She was stubborn, and flawed, and there were times when I wanted to hit her and be like, you're screwing this up! But she was also vulnerable and at times lost. Luckily, she had two best friends who were there for her - always.

First, there's Danny. Ah, Danny. The flirt, the smooth talker, the one guy every girl wants. From their first fight, you knew that sparks were flying between these two. And Danny never let her forget that. He was cocky, but not in a bad way. He pushed her buttons, was her partner in crime, and also stood up for her when she was wronged. Being with Danny would be passion...pure, straight passion.

Then there's Phillip.

description

No lie, this is who I pictured the whole time. I blame my love of Sleeping Beauty and the fact that I think Prince Phillip is the best Disney prince for my biased love toward Phillip. But come on, she named him Phillip and he calls JJ "Princess". I can't...

Phillip was the steady friend, the one who was always there for her. Who knew her limits even when she didn't know them herself. While Danny was the risk taker, Phillip was the thinker. He was not impulsive and thought through everything. He was the one she talked to every night before bed.

How could you pick??

Luckily, she didn't have to. The way the author wrote it, there was no "I pick him over you", there was no ultimatum. She didn't have to pick one. Instead, it was just natural growth. There was no doubt to me who she would end up with but I loved the ride getting them there.

I laughed, swooned, giggled, and sobbed. I loved JJ's inner thoughts. And I loved both of these boys so much. Both were perfect for her in their own way.

Thank you Jillian Dodd for writing such a beautiful and modern fairytale. I am glad our "Princess" found her Prince and I am off to read That Wedding because I just can't get enough of these characters.