The Claiming of Sleeping Beauty  - A.N. Roquelaure, Anne Rice It took me forever to figure out how to rate this book because I couldn't even figure out how I felt about it when I finished. I'm still a little unsure, honestly.

Honestly, I'm not quite sure where Sleeping Beauty comes into play here except she's a princess who awakens from a cursed sleep. That's where any relations to the story pretty much end. What then ensues is such a clusterfuck of actions that I'm just left like...

description

I was told early on that this was pretty much a BDSM book, when in actuality this is a book about humiliating people by spanking. A lot of spanking. Anne Rice has an interesting view of BDSM because she throws out the love, safety, and trust that comes with a BDSM relationship and instead focuses on the terror and fear that one's "master" inflicts. Beauty is thrust into this world without any explanation of what's happening, she's just expected to obey because the Prince awoke her.

I found most of the characters in this book one-dimensional, except for Alexi, who intrigued me from the start. Then he told Beauty his story and the way Rice wrote it - from the way he speaks, to the language he uses - took me out of it. And I was left going, another fucked up character.

The ending introduced us to another Prince, Prince Tristan, who seems interesting - especially to Beauty *snort*. I will most likely continue the series because I'm me and I feel the need to see what happens next. Thank god they're short.