The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald I'm not a scholar so I'm not even going to attempt a formal review of this one. I will say that they just don't write books quite like this anymore. The language and imagery used alone transports you to another time.

Gatsby was an interesting character. I actually found myself feeling bad for him. His life was based on a past dream, a dream he had no reality of ever catching. One of my favorite parts of this book was when Gatsby was telling Nick about Daisy and how he fell in love with her.

He took what he could get, ravenously and unscrupulously- eventually he took Daisy one still October night, took her because he had no real right to touch her hand.

That was the most real I found Gatsby to be the entire story. Most real, and most vulnerable. Gatsby was ultimately alone in his life, which was shown true at his funeral. This was a man who surrounded himself with accquaintances and people wanting to rise to the top. They were all superfiscial friendships, with only a few left standingin the end.

"Let us learn to show our friendship for a man when he is alive and not after he is dead."

How true this quote is even today.

I don't know how it took me this long to actually read this book, but I am very glad that I did.