The Dream Thieves (The Raven Cycle, #2) - Maggie Stiefvater All of us have secrets in our lives. We’re keepers or keptfrom, players or played. Secrets and cockroaches – that’s what will be left at the end of it all.

I don’t think I could love this series any more if I tried. The Dream Thieves is the continuation of The Raven Boys. Gansey and Co. are still looking for the lost Welsh king with Blue now a permanent staple in their group. However, the tightknit group they were in the first one is slowly unraveling. Each boy has his own secrets, has his own reason for continuing on in this mission, even Blue is hiding something. But I adore these characters, flaws and all. While the first book focused more on Blue and Gansey, The Dream Thieves focuses on two of the other boys:

Ronan
Finally, finally, we get to go inside his mind and learn more about him and his family.

The three brothers were nothing if not handsome copies of their father, although each flatted a different side of Niall himself. Declan had the same way of taking a room and shaking its hand. Matthew’s curls were netted with Niall’s charm and humor. And Ronan was everything that was left: molten eyes and a smile made for war.

Ronan is so broken. My heart hurt for him as he struggled with his newfound power and was overwhelmed as secrets from his past just kept coming out at every turn. Keeping his dream side of him hidden from Gansey took its toll, however. Ronan grew so much in this book and his pain was so raw that you can’t help but root for him.

Adam
Sometimes Ronan thought Adam was so used to the right way being painful that he doubted any path that didn’t come with agony.

Oh Adam…what am I ever going to do with you? At the end of The Raven Boys, Adam made a deal with Cabeswater. Now, he’s different and everyone is worried. Through the course of the book Adam struggles to find his place while he’s currently fading away. Adam just wants a place to belong and he wants to get there on his own.

The rest of the gang is still all here: Noah, Blue, and Gansey – who owns my soul.

Magic was real, magic was real, magic was real.

What I loved about this book, and the series as a whole, is the mystery wrapped in mythology but in a contemporary setting. This is one series that has stayed on my mind since I’ve finished it. I keep going back to it, constantly wanting to reread it and look for more clues as to where this journey will take us. Once again, the writing is so vivid and smart that you don’t really realize how powerful it is until you’ve finished. Each voice is written so distinctly, the characters really standing on their own, making mistakes and growing. There really aren’t many “AHA” moments; it’s more of a slow burn, pulling you in one chapter as a time with its brilliant prose, smartly timed humor, and emotional revelations.

And the kiss that wasn’t a kiss - just kill me now. That was one of the most heartwrenching yet beautifully written scenes I’ve ever read. The weight of the actions that bear down on the contributing parties aren’t overlooked, in fact, they are always there, hanging over them. It was a “kiss” of what could have been and what can never be. I honestly can’t do it justice, just know that it was perfect.
Maggie Stiefvater, you continue to amaze me with this series and I cannot wait to see what’s in store next. I have my theories, but I’m sure they’re all wrong. All I know is I need more Raven Boys in my life.

I received an e-copy of this book from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

This review can also be seen here on my blog.