Insomnia - J.R. Johansson Not going to lie, the cover is what initially drew me into this book. I mean, look at it. It’s the perfect blend of creepy and beautiful. Then I read the description. While it reminded me a lot about the Wake series by Lisa McMann, it was also just interesting enough that I had to take a look.

Insomnia is the story of Parker Chipp who doesn’t sleep. Instead, he enters the dreams of the person he last held eye contact with. He’s exhausted, his mother thinks he’s on drugs, and he feels like he’s losing it. That is until he meets Mia. Mia’s dreams are different and Parker can sleep inside of them. Then Mia gets a stalker and everyone thinks it’s Parker.

This book was…interesting. I wanted it to be a lot creepier than it was. Parker’s obsession with Mia was downright disturbing, and not in the good thriller type way. It was no wonder everyone thought he was the stalker. I mean, he waited outside her classroom, soccer practice, showed up at her house, all just to look her in the eyes.

I felt the “darkness” aspect was an interesting twist, but one I felt wasn’t executed right. What started out as creepy darkness taking over Parker turned into a nagging conscious or an annoying bully. I guess I just really wanted to be scared by this and I wasn’t.

Johansson’s debut novel is a good read with an interesting idea. However, I felt it missed its mark slightly with just too many grey areas and the predictably of who the stalker was and how the mysterious skull man ties into everything.

I will likely continue the series because I think this is a series that could grow and there were just too many unanswered questions.

This review can also be see here at my blog.

I received an e-copy of this book from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.