This Girl (Slammed, #3) - Colleen Hoover 3.5

I’m going to start off by saying; I’m not a huge fan of books which are just a retelling of a previous book from a different POV. That being said, I enjoyed both Slammed and Point of Retreat, so of course I was going to finish the series. There may be possible spoilers of the first two books in this review.

This Girl takes place immediately after Will and Layken get married. They are lounging around in their hotel room talking about the past when Lake decides she wants to hear Will’s story of how they got together, including his break up with Vaughn. The story of the past is intermixed with the two of them in the present with Lake prompting Will for the next “chapter” pretty much.

What I liked:
-I loved that Will’s backstory began with his parents’ death. This was a life changing event for him but we never really got to see or hear what happened during that time. How he felt when he found out the news, how he thought that everyone was gone, how he felt abandoned by not just Vaughn but his parents, and how he knew he wanted Caulder with him.

-Speaking of Caulder, I adore him. One of the best parts about this book was that we got to see more of the relationship dynamic between Will and Caulder. Also, the friendship between the two little brothers stole all three books for me. They were just golden.

-Colleen Hoover’s writing style. I’m not going to deny that this girl can write. From the witty dialogue to the slam poetry, there’s a natural flow to the writing that’s a joy to read.

What I didn’t like:
-Layken’s overreactions to Will’s story. You asked him about the past, specifically about other girls. Locking yourself in the bathroom and having a tantrum shows how immature you are.

-Will’s degrading behavior regarding himself. Everything was always his fault. He calls himself an asshole when Lake freaks out over his past dating history. He’s constantly calling himself a horrible person for feeling what he feels. While yes, there were times when he was sending mixed signals to Lake, but she was doing the exact same thing.

-The setup of the story. The way that each “past” chapter was setup with a “present” chapter right before felt a little contrived to me. It was like, oh tell me about the time you first saw me, tell me about our first kiss, tell me about our fight. While the individual chapters flowed well within, the way they merged together was a little jolted and too much like hitting points 1, 2, 3…

Overall, this was an enjoyable series to read. While the first two were a little angst driven, this one was more like the candy-coated topping. A good finish.

This review can also be seen at Book Jems.